Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Ok, well, I was bored.

One of three things can happen when I get bored. Either I start twitching and babbling and fidgeting until everyone around me is begging me to sit down and shut up, or I stare off into space thinking furiously about nothing at all (or, occasionally, homework. There was this one really surreal day where I sat down and thought about sorting algorithms for eight solid hours) until my brain is tied in knots, or I pick up some random mindless project and work on it until I can't stand it any more.

This time around, I got my spinning wheel up and running again. The results:


Some wool roving in beautiful colors. Unfortunately, the beautiful colors come off on my hands, which are now green. I'll have to wash the yarn I make out of it before using it for anything.



Spinning wheel closeup, with some yarn made from the wool above on the bobbin




The results of the first pass on the pretty blue-green-purple wool. The picture before this one has the results of these two bobbins plied together.



Three-ply white bamboo fiber



Beautiful purple bamboo fiber; two-ply



More bamboo fiber - undyed, this time. A fairly fine yarn.




I have no floor space.

I love bamboo fiber - lovely and soft and spins smoothly, and it's a lot less finicky than silk. Unfortunately, my favorite fiber supplier Mind's Eye Yarns doesn't carry it any more, so if I want more I'll have to get it from the interwebs. I might try getting some and dyeing it - I've never tried dyeing, but it can't be that hard... right? (Bamboo apparently takes a ton of dye, but you end up with these amazing vibrant saturated colors). We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment