Tuesday, August 25, 2009



I forgot how much I hate working with satins. Even with a rotary cutter, this stuff was !$!@$ impossible to cut straight.


I ended up deciding to tear it, at least for the purposes of this experiment.


Unfortunately, tearing is a little rough on the lightest-weight silk.


Anyway, here's one of the piles of streamers. I think this is the lightest-weight fabric.

And here's the heavy charmeuse.


The edges got a little stretched when I tore the fabric, so I'm ironing all the pieces flat again.



My (probably futile) attempt to keep them from getting all wrinkled in my backpack.


The base layer - 2" strips of the heavy charmeuse sewn together at the top.


Pinning on another layer.


Two layers.


I lightly stitched the back layer together for about 6", because it was impossible to handle this piece otherwise.


And then I tacked the front two layers together down to about six inches as well.


Here's the whole thing laid out.


Not a great picture, but you get the idea.


If this were the finished product, it'd be at least six inches longer. I don't think that would affect the drape all that much, though.






My wonderful housemate Kevin waving it around so I could capture how it moved. My dog is looking on in the background with his trademarked "I do not understand why you humans do what you do" expression.


Sigh. In the end, the light outer layers were just not as tendril-like as I wanted. Now that I've got this documented, I'll slit all the strips up the middle and see what 1" strips look like. (The fabric will also be darker overall, and about six inches longer.) This was somewhat disappointing, but better now than later.

No comments:

Post a Comment