Sunday, August 30, 2009

Still unsure how to finish the edges of the mistcloak strips. Cutting on the bias doesn't actually help much; when it does fray, it looks really ugly. I wonder if edge-stitching + cutting on the bias would be helpful?

Anyway, I've been experimenting with different combinations of strip width and weights of fabric. For your perusal:


Front layers still 2", back layer 1"





Only front layers; those 1"



Definitely on the right track here. It's getting much more airflow through, so it's fluttering nicely.


Back layer only (1")


All layers; 1"





Front at .5" (more or less), back 1"


Not a fan of this one. The thinner strips just look tattered, it's impossible to cut strips that narrow straight, and they're so narrow that any edge finish would practically take up the entire strip.


So, I think I'm going with all layers, 1" all around. After seeing a cloak on the TWG forums made entirely of organza, I think I'll be set if I put a partial layer of organza on top to give it some liveliness (? I lack the fancy artsy fashion designer terminology. Something something "dynamic", maybe). Updates will be forthcoming.

It should also have a hood; I'm contemplating making it out of a solid piece of the heavy charmeuse. I don't think I want to sew strips into a hood. Ugh.


So anyway, I'm making another partial mockup with the rest of my fabric, all 1" strips. Unfortunately, quilting it down - even just hand-basting - is approximately impossible unless you've stabilized it into submission first. Lacking stabilizers, I've been just hand-tacking each layer together. (I really need to get some stabilizer.)




No comments:

Post a Comment