Sunday, July 5, 2009

The dreams of fish, and sailor's songs

+5 to you if you get the reference.

So, yesterday I ran some experimental dye batches - I'm still looking for a nice deep turquoise, emerald, and sapphire (can you tell I like jewel tones?) What I got was not at all what I expected... but it was rather nice all the same, I think. For your perusal:





Isn't it a nice sea-colors set?

After that, I experimented with hand-painting (when I do a batch for real, I'll post in-progress pictures). I was trying for blue-green-purple, but my green seems to have mutated to a dark greenish blue. Still, it's interesting, and I seem to have mixed a nice blue-violet. And now I know how to do it.






I adore bamboo. It doesn't matter what horrible colors you dye it; the sheen makes it beautiful. (Well, possibly with the exception of the terrifying BRIGHT YELLOW GREEN!!! that I managed to produce last time I did some experimental batches. Eugh.)

Upcoming: hand-painting some plain fiber, because I'm contemplating an experiment with silk paper that will become a book cover or somesuch if it comes out well. First I need to dye the fiber, though. I'll post in-progress pictures on the off-chance they're useful to someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment