Thursday, July 30, 2009

Wings!!!

One of my favorite projects. Sadly, no construction pictures again (I promise, I'll remember to take them... although this was from long ago. still, it would have been awesome.)

The wings are a 1/4" mild steel frame with fabric stretched over; the fabric is some stretchy synthetic. I painted it with a base coat of fabric medium, then acrylics, then a pearl glaze.

The corset is a fairly standard three-layer deal with 1/2" spring steel. I had to hand-sew the last couple panels (argh), because the metal attachment points made it impossible to cram through the sewing machine. I had hand-sewing callouses by the time I was done. *sigh*

The wings are actually detachable. The nuts, er, unbolt, letting you remove the pieces of metal they're attached to, and the strip running between them that the wing frame is anchored to. What's left is a sort of flat loop of metal with bolts sticking out - so theoretically, anything that can bolt to those loops can be attached to the corset. I could make all kinds of other wings if I wanted!




No comments:

Post a Comment