Thursday, July 30, 2009

Snips and snails and ?? tails

A project from a couple summers ago. I decided that, clearly, for this costume I needed a tail. So I scrounged around in my fabric stash and came up with the remnants of the fabric I had bought for the corset that went with my wings (a project I promise to post another day), and some random black fabric, and a pile of plastic grocery bags (because I was running out of time and didn't want to pay for batting.)

It came out impossibly well for the amount of time I actually spend on it (for once, I got it right the first time!)





Basically, I just sketched a tail shape onto the fabric and sewed it up. The spines are just black cotton duck - once again, I just sort of sketched them onto the fabric, cut out two, stitched them and turned them inside out. All I had to do after that was just sandwich them in between the layers of the tail fabric so that they'd stick up from the "spine" after the tail was flipped inside out.

The plastic bags don't hold up super well in the long term - they tend to compress - and they rustle. Not the ideal stuffing material, but hey, it worked. (That seems to be the refrain in all my projects...)

No comments:

Post a Comment